Friday, April 10, 2015

Day trip: Mt. Rigi

While Uncle Brad was here, on Saturday, we spent the entire day up at Mount Rigi.




We took a cable car to this train stop, then hopped on a train to the very top.





It's a major sledding destination.  So many people sledding down hills that were steep and narrow but they went nearly the entire way down the mountain like skiing hills.  We just pulled Maddie around since the actual sledding hills looked a little dangerous for our crowd.

Here's an example of the serious sledding here.  Maybe if we were without kids.




Like a lot of other places we've been, it was beautiful with stunning views!  It was also really, really cold at the top.




Our little hikers!

We stopped for a hot cocoa and fries before we went for a little hike.


I got off easy...while both kids napped on their backs, I just pulled the empty sled behind me.

There were some easy trails around the top.  We only hiked for maybe 45 minutes while both kids took a nap.  A lot of places looked like rentals.  It would be a great place to come for the weekend in either winter or summer, rent a place, and hike/ski right outside the place down the mountain.


She got spoiled with an ice cream treat at the restaurant (that was a little too fancy for us...).  She kept singing "Happy birthday to me!"  It was one of those times when everyone was getting fussy and hungry so we were getting close to desperate.  Oh well, we need to plan better next time.  It was also typically Swiss because we were driving at about 5:30/6pm and half the restaurants looked closed already.

It was a great day outside.  I LOVE love love the outdoor culture here, no matter the weather or time of year.  The best part was how close to home it was and how accessible the mountain is with the cable cars and trains.  Switzerland for the win :-)

1 comment:

  1. The light coming down on those mountains, wow!!! Stunning!! I love the idea of sledding down a giant mountain, that sounds like so much fun! Do you ever get tired of all the outdoor seating? I think it would be refreshing, but I also think I would complain because of the cold :)

    ReplyDelete