Monday, July 21, 2014

That is love

I was taking Carter's "2 months" photos and Maddie couldn't help herself.  Really, she can't ever help but be up in his face.

On a daily basis, we raise our voice or grab her arm to stop her or snatch him up so he won't get an accidental injury.  Remember the 100th time that she was jumping on the bed while he was laying there peacefully and then that one time when she somehow drew blood by scratching his face with her toenail?  Or one of the many times she leans in to kiss him, looses her balance, then catches herself by placing her hand on his stomach and pushing herself up with all her bodyweight on his midsection?  Or the times that she pokes his eyes?  Almost all of these times, it is an accident.  She doesn't understand that screaming in his face will overstimulate him and make him hysterically cry.  No matter how many times we yell at her, pull her back, or pick him up out of her reach, it does not stop her.  She will do it again tomorrow if not in the next couple hours.  Her love for him is never ending, unconditional, and full of joy.  I could probably count the number of times on my hands that I have seen her intentionally try to hurt him.

In a twisted and maybe stretched way, it makes me think of how much we can try to pull away from God or push him away from us, and it does not stop him from loving us all the time, every day, every ugly moment.

It is so frustrating, though, too.  We're still learning about being gentle after 3 months.  I don't want to have to play bodyguard every time I lay him on the couch or the floor.  I don't want to have to get upset with her or pull them away from each other.

But I am learning that it is okay.  This is where we are.  I need to be patient and let her be his big sister, rough and all because that is who she is and where she's at right now.  I love them both fiercely and wouldn't change a thing about either of them.  It is a gift to be at home with them every day, even though it doesn't feel that way every moment of the day.  I am reminded often that I am learning probably as many or more lessons about life as my almost-2-year-old.

They are hilarious and fun.  I love watching them grow into their own little personalities.




I think she is laying on his arm.  She doesn't mind him screaming in her ear.  She just can't get close enough :-)


5 comments:

  1. They are so cute together!! I think he will learn to let things roll off of him because he'll get used to being tough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful words and photos, elissa. sibling relationships are tough right from the start, huh?
    mary virginia is 13 mos old and i feel like most of my day STILL revolves around helping them, um, relate. unfortunately most of his roughness is intentional. but that's another subject entirely. :) it makes me laugh, i'm sure NO ONE ever squished maddie's arm! the second child just doesn't get a break!
    i suppose this is a good time for us as mamas to start praying that they will be a blessing to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, tough, for sure! it does make me laugh sometimes (when I've had enough sleep to give me ample patience). By golly, no one ever squished Maddie's arm! haha yes, it is a good time to start praying that!

      Delete
  3. Our son lives in UK, perhaps sometime during this time y'all could hook up. Send me e-mall address I wanted to send the family a note. THANKS Judy e-mail dnj@maxsons.org

    ReplyDelete