Monday, March 23, 2015

An accomplishment

Just a few days ago (a couple days after I wrote his 10 month update), Carter realized that he can actually successful crawl to get somewhere.  He is getting better and quicker by the minute.  And he is so happy about it.

It doesn't feel like just an accomplishment for Carter, but for us, too.  He's been crawling for weeks now and I still get so excited to see him move to grab a toy.  It's been so amazing to watch his confidence grow as he learns.

My mommy brain was thinking all sorts of unnecessary worrying thoughts--will he need physical therapy or some help to crawl? are his gross motor skills delayed? what should I be doing to help? why is it taking him so long to get the hang of it when other babies his age are crawling?

I definitely learned one thing: scouring the internet for information can be super discouraging and dangerous to the emotional mommy.  It's easy to say "every child is different" but it's nearly impossible not to compare your child to others.  It's also way too easy to think that it's something I am doing wrong or not doing enough of another thing.  I think the most comforting comment I've ever heard about parenting was this:

You were chosen to be (Carter's) mom.  Nobody else could fill that role but you.  Find confidence in the sovereign power of God and His plan for your family.  God chooses exactly the right parents for each individual child.  The parents that are best equipped to support, grow, and nurture that child's gifts and abilities so that he/she reaches their full potential.  Only you are equipped with the right talents, gifts, dispositions, and decision-making abilities to raise (Carter) the way God intended, because He chose YOU.

How amazing, right?!  As a parent, insecurities abound and every where you look, it seems that someone else is better which makes you feel less of a parent.  Even so, there are so many choices and decisions to make as a parent even by the minute (lately I've been focusing on my reaction to certain situations which is a challenge in itself) - not to mention all the changes that a child goes through in the first few years of life.  I definitely need this reminder every single day--to remember that this entire thing called life has been planned far beyond myself.

All I know is, I am feeling beyond thankful for this seemingly big accomplishment, but even more thankful for being chosen to be his mommy.




No comments:

Post a Comment