I took the kids to an indoor community pool with friends about a week ago. It was the first time Maddie was in water deeper than she could touch with her puddle jumper since last summer. First off, I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of water parks or community pools. A hotel pool or friend's pool doesn't bother me at all for some reason. But this indoor pool was really well kept, clean, and overall really nice. It was simple, no slides or extra fun kid area. Many towns here have a community center with an indoor pool, outdoor pool, and some type of gym, also usually with a little cafe or restaurant.
We had so much fun that we may have to go on a regular basis. We've already gone a second time.
Getting all three of us changed into swimsuits, then to walk with kids, both tubes, and towels up to the pool, then showered before we get into the pool... it's a process. Then all over again once we get out. It's extra effort, especially to make it to the car after without any meltdowns. BUT definitely worth it.
 |
| It was really crowded the second time we went--on a Friday afternoon after school let out. |
 |
| Snacks on the floor while we all get dried and dressed. |
The first time we went, it took Maddie a full hour in the water to go off the steps without gripping my neck. The second hour, she was doggy paddling *close* to the steps. The second time we went, she couldn't wait to swim by herself and was jumping off the side into the water before we left. I am so proud of her! Once we left, she couldn't stop talking about swimming. For almost a week after, she asked if we were going to the pool to go swimming. I'm glad we're able to take them into the water so they will be used to it by this summer. Her confidence level went through the roof from when she first stepped into the pool to the second time we visited.
I guess it's not normal here to do official swim lessons until later like 4-5 years old. The classes for younger kids are just for them to play and get comfortable in the water. Many of the community centers for each town have indoor and outdoor pools. The outdoor pools have slides, fountains, play grounds, and look really fun. Our town's outdoor pool is within walking distance from our house so we're really excited to check it out this summer.
You really aren't ever coming back. :( :( :(
ReplyDeleteThis looks so fun! Way to go Maddie! How has it been holding Carter while also watching Maddie? Addie has been doing swimming lessons at VT this month and we've really enjoyed it. My goal was the same since last summer I felt like she was pretty nervous early in the season from not being in the water for 9 months.
HA yes, we are coming back, just don't know when :-) It's much easier than I thought. Carter usually sits in the infant tube seat. If he gets cold, I take him out and hold him. Maddie is happy splashing around in her vest thing and sometimes the yellow tube as well. The hardest part is getting in/out of the pool while holding Carter, drying off, getting towels, showering, etc, etc. YES I am all for being in the water year around since it seems to help so much. My Swiss friend said her 11 year old never really needed official swim lessons because they just went to the pool, she got comfortable, and she is fine with basic swimming.
Delete