Thursday, July 22, 2010

DIY Upholstered Headboard

I have been dreaming of a headboard for the guest bedroom for awhile now. I've spent most of my time thinking and talking about it, but not doing anything about it. Bryce can attest to this. My inspiration came from a picture from Pottery Barn:


And also another couple photos...


(photos from Pottery Barn and one I'm not sure of)

I really wanted to make a headboard myself (DIY=do it yourself), first, to save money, and second, because I've found so many blogs and websites about how easy it is to make one. I really like the idea of an upholstered headboard because it would be "comfty" (as Bryce's Mom says) to lean back on a cushy surface.

So I finally made one a few weeks ago, and finished it last week. Other than screwing the 2x4s to the plywood (and all the wood cutting done by Home Depot), I put it together. This goes to show that it was quite a simple project, if I could do it myself. I have considered tufting it with buttons, but haven't decided.

Supplies:
2 2x4"
1 piece of plywood 3/4" thick (30"x62")
1 canvas drop cloth 6x9' (the friendly-on-the-wallet fabric I used)
quilt batting
upholstery foam (2 packages each 1" thick)
Spray adhesive

(everthing from Home Depot except quilt batting and foam from Walmart)

This was my plan:


Process:
Go to Home Depot. Get plywood cut. Get 2x4s cut. Bring home and have husband screw legs to plywood.
Get upholstery foam and glue to plywood with spray adhesive.

Get quilt batting and staple over foam/plywood.

Get fabric and cover.


Cover legs with quilt batting and nail to 2x4. (I only did this because I knew you'd see the legs on the side of the bed.


Set it behind bed and look at it. Wait for husband to finish his Ph.D. qualifying exam, and then have him attach it to the bed frame.

Granted, it does not look like the professionally made upholstered headboards. But for now, I like it.

3 comments:

  1. Elissa the headboard looks AWESOOOME!! WAY TO GO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!! It turned out great!!!! Way to go for it. I also really like the bedding!!

    ReplyDelete